Contrast, Fonts, Shapes, and Icons
Wondering how to make your presentation slides exciting without resorting to images after images? Don't get me wrong! Using images can certainly create an impact in your presentation. But without it, you can use other elements of design to make your slides exciting.
Using colour contrast, fonts, shapes and simple icons can also do the trick. A couple of weeks ago I attended a forum organized by Supply Chain Asia. As the moderator spoke, messages highlighting his key points were displayed on the large screen behind him. Many of his slides did not have images but it was Sticky, visually exciting with clear messages.
What's exciting about her slides are the mixture of design elements and choice of colours used. The selection of special fonts and the placement of information blocks are also important. I managed to speak with the designer to get samples of her slides.
Here are a couple of things to note that will guide you in creating similar slides.
- Whatever you do, you must ensure that your audience can see the information on the slides.
- Be selective in the use of colours. Don't use too many colours on a single slide.
- Contrast must be good. Use white text on dark background and black (or dark colored) text on light background.
- Use shapes and sizes to create focus.
- Use simple icons with text caption to break away from seeing too much text.
- Using fancy fonts can be interesting, but be aware of the formality of the presentation and legibility of the message.
Hope this bite story gives you a starting point and additonal inspiration to create exciting presentation visuals.